Shower steamers are the perfect answer for people (like me) who prefer to shower instead of bathe. I adore the luxury that a bath bomb (preferably from Lush) creates, but I find that I just prefer showering. Now that I make these little steamers, I can recreate that same spa-like feeling, while still enjoying my refreshing, brisk shower.
I have included three of my favourite scent blend recipes. Here is how I make them:
DIY Natural Shower Steamers with Essential Oils
Let’s start with the basic recipe:
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Water
- 30 – 35 drops Essential Oils
- 2 drops Food Dye* optional
- Mix the baking soda and water together. You don’t want it to be runny, but rather a crumbly consistency. This part is important because if it’s too runny it’ll start to melt as soon as it’s out the freezer. (Trust me… I had to tweak my measurements quite a few times before I got the right consistency)
- Add essential oils and food dye to the mixture and stir them in thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into an ice-cube tray (you can also get creative and use muffin pans, chocolate/candy molds, cupcake liners, etc.). Make sure to compact the crumbly mixture firmly into the ice-cube tray.
- Freeze for 24 hours.
- Store in an air-tight container in a cool, dry area.
- To use: Put one or two (depending on their size) of your steamers at the bottom of your shower where the water hits it.
Note: If you live in a warmer climate or if you find your steamers are on the crumbly side, rather store them in the fridge.
Essential Oil Blends
Have some fun making your own blends as well, and if you want to share them, leave a comment below. Enjoy your newly improved shower experience!